Fall

Fall

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Here we go a caucusing...

Last night Mike and I dusted off our Political Scientist selves and went to the caucus in our neighborhood. That was, for both of us, our first caucus. I don't think the organizers were expecting as many people that showed up. But, if everyone in our neighborhood got as many calls as we did from the candidates, then it is hard to ignore the event. Our precinct's caucus was at Lincoln Elementary and the cafeteria was packed. First we went to one corner, then moved to another. We signed in and as the people kept coming in we got squished into the back corner. It was hot. I was thirsty. I was clausterphobic. Other precincts left to different rooms, we stayed along with another precinct in the cafeteria. It was an interesting process. We were split into 3 groups-each for the 2 candidates and those undecided. Speakers were supposed to stand up and try to convince the undecideds to vote one way or another. Our precinct leader wasn't that organized, so I think we skipped this step. Mike and I both volunteered to be delegates to the county convention in March, so we shall see if that happens. All in all, it was an interesting experience and, even though it was hot and stuffy and disorganized, voting always give me a renewed sense of pride in democracy.

No comments: