Fall

Fall

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Chester, Mikey, and Spring Break

Sometimes I wish that things happen easy, naturally. But, I guess as they happen they do, despite how I view things. My spring break is this week and next, and of course during this time of much needed self-care I choose to have a growth removed from Chester's arm. I forgot what it would be like, him coming off the anesthesia, the fact that his arm is wrapped up like a mummy's, the fact that I can't take him for walks for 14 days, and all the other rules around his healing. Of course, I have broken every rule. Our walks last longer than just him going out to potty; he jumps up on the bed to sleep with me; I don't always employ the e-collar. But, all in all, he is healing just fine, and I realized that if I were to do this during school then I would be stressed out X2. Stanley and I had a nice time together when Ches was in surgery. Stan and I rarely spend one-on-one time together; Chester has taken to sleeping with me, so we get that time, but Stan and I are always a part of a pack. So, Monday I came home from class, took Stan for a walk, gave him a chew, and then walked him to Whole Foods where he waited outside for me, like a big boy. He was all Mr. Independent on Monday and had a new found sense of confidence when we were out and about. Of course he became a blubbering mess when Chester came home, but I will always remember those few hours that Stan could really just be himself.

Despite the stressful week, I had a lovely day today, celebrating Mikey's 39th birthday. I hit some golf balls with Liz, and then went to Target. I bought a few items and some lunch stuff-a sandwich from the deli, some chips and a cookie-and I headed to the cemetery. I hadn't been there since Christmas so I laid out a towel and had a picnic by Mike's grave. I came home, watered the lawn, and walked to Bonnie Brae Pizza for a birthday remembrance including Mike's dad and my family. It was laid back, relaxing, and the pizza was better than I remembered it. I am now laying in bed, early so I can read, and tomorrow I am walking with a friend, playing a Par 3 with dad, and having a sushi dinner.

I think I was in a funk at the beginning of my spring break, but I am realizing just how important it is to revel in these moments. Despite the stress that can occur, it is important to revel in every moment.

No comments: