Fall

Fall

Monday, July 20, 2015

The big 7-5

I know it isn't cool to advertise a woman's age. But, there are just those milestones that you can't escape. Like, me, facing forty. Or my mom turning seventy-five this weekend.

We had planned for weeks what to do. We meaning Robert, Dad and I. We talked about a surprise party, or a trip to the mountains, or something like that. But, in the end, we opted for cozy time at home and a little time on the farm. The White Fence Farm, that is. We did have a few tricks up our sleeves to make the day super special.

The eve of The Big Day, Saturday afternoon, I took a bouquet of flowers and a few other special treats over to the house while Mom and Dad were at church. I guess, when Mom came home, she was surprised and wondered how those flowers got inside. The next day, her birthday, July 19th started out with a visit from Rene and me and I brought the cake that I ordered with a special birthday wish along with the caramel ribbon gelato that is scrumptious. Rene played in the yard, got in her pool, laid in the grass. She showed Grandma extra special attention. She let Grandpa chase her around the yard. I dropped her off back at home and got ready, heading back to Mom and Dad's for an early dinner a the White Fence Farm. It is a very cute, very down-home restaurant in Littleton/Lakewood with good food, a petting zoo, little gift shops, a candy store, and live music. We wandered around, and then ate, and then listened to a few tunes. Back at our home front, we surprised Mom with a DVD a cousin lovingly put together with pretty much every home movie from Mom's side of the family. We popped it in the DVR and watched much of the DVD, with tears of nostalgia and laughter, both at ourselves from the 1980's and just the fun of it all.

After the DVD we had a lovely cake with "Happy 75th Birthday, Betty!" Iced on top. A few presents here and there. Did I mention it is my parents' anniversary, too? Celebrating 46 years of marriage, my parents' anniversary sometimes gets put aside during birthday festivities. But the years of love and dedication to each other can never be put aside.

 Rene spending some time in the pool
 Drying off in the sun
 A group selfie attempt
 A Mom and Me selfie
 The wonderful couple
 The lovely birthday girl
A peacock who needed to be a part of the festivities

No comments: