Fall

Fall

Monday, November 9, 2015

Sick Day

I had a tough night last night, a searing headache, vomiting, etc. I hardly slept! So, I am staying home today from work and pretty much just hunkering in with Rene. The first thing I thought when I woke up was, "I want my mom!" So I called her and whined and ask for mommy to bring me soup. Voila! She and Dad did, of course. Soup, bread, jello and ginger ale. These are the marks of parental love for a sick child, no matter how old that child may be (dare I say nearing 40??)


It is funny, when I get sick (and I know other people do this, too!) I always try to identify why. Was it food poisoning? No, I cooked the dinner and everything was done thoroughly and cleanly. Was it the nursing facility I visited Friday with all the signs of rampant sickness that was all around the building? Maybe. Was it the craft fair where I was a vendor on Saturday? All those hands touching everything. 

Maybe.

Oh yes…the craft fair! My friend Kristin and I like to think ourselves as crafty and artsy. Ever since I lived in Montrose I have really tried to make "making stuff" a self-care technique, especially in my line of hospice social work. I used to make these inspirational collages and started making these little boxes of love, friendship, gratitude, etc where I put little quotes of such topics inside. Kristin makes beautiful handmade cards, and her husband Greg designed and got printed sports towels with the Colorado logo. We all decided to finally take our crafts and try out a craft fair. Mom and I go to Cook Park to their craft fair every year so I thought it would be the perfect place to try this out. The table cost was cheap, only $20 and just one day of commitment. It started out slow but the pace picked up. I took a couple of special orders, sold a few boxes and earrings, and Kristin sold some of her items too. I made about $100 and met some really nice people. I enjoyed hearing about the people they were giving their boxes to and for what purpose. One woman's niece was getting married the next day so she bought my "little box of love." One women's sister was having a tough time so she bought my "tiny box of happiness" to send to her. A friend ordered 5 "boxes of gratitude" for her book club. A neighbor ordered one as a goodbye gift to his old boss. It was a great way to spend the day, and I must admit, worth it if it is where I caught my little stomach bug!


Kristin and me in front of our table


Her very creative and beautiful cards


Greg's Colorado sports towel-it has a little grommet and hook so you can attach it to your sport bag


My handmades



Some of our customers were friends and family! I haven't seen these lovely ladies (Meg and Mia, Amy and Maddie)  in quite some time, as life has us in all different directions. 
The fact that they came for a little while was food for my soul!




No comments: