Fall

Fall

Monday, August 20, 2007

Words of Wisdom from Oprah

I read my September Oprah magazine. The last article in the magazine is always from Oprah, it is her "What I Know for Sure" section. This month's really spoke to me. Here is part of her article: "A mountain, I realized, is one of the great metaphors for life, reminding you that: 1. Challenges are often more difficult than they seem at the outset; 2. An ascent that at first looks smooth turns out to have unseen dips and ridges and valleys; 3. The higher you climb, the thicker the weeds; 4. You need a clear vision of where you're going if you want to avoid getting disoriented by the clouds that roll in and block your view; 5. You have to be determined to make it to the top. Otherwise, every step, stumble and fall will give you an excuse to turn around and head home." Oprah had planned on making it to the top of a mountain in one hour, but it was turning out to take her longer. After she reflected on her ascent, she slowed down and readjusted her goal so she could enjoy the climb along the way. This spoke to me because it was a metaphor that I could see in my life. Whether it be my new job I am eager to start, or some other aspect of life where a goal is in reach, Oprah reminded me to Breathe In. Breathe Out. Life already goes by way too fast. I need to stop, breathe, and enjoy the view.

No comments: