Fall

Fall

Friday, September 14, 2007

Back to life...Back to reality...

Hello there. It has been awhile. We got back from Alaska on Tuesday morning and I am just now feeling awake and caught up. I am still having dreams...yesterday I awoke in a panic not knowing where I was (was I slogging to the Alaganik again?)...last night I had a dream that I was outside...somewhere outside...I keep waking up thinking I will be in Alaska when in fact I am in my own bedroom with my Mikey and the dogs.

We had a wonderful trip. Next posting will include pictures and more details. Suffice it to say...I am in love with Alaska. Some interesting facts: In the entire state, there are only 677,000 people. There are only a handful of highways, so to get to certain places people either fly or ferry. There are many types of salmon (Chinook, Silver, Humpy, etc) and fishing for the different kinds of salmon is good at different times of the year. The Ulu knife is the extention of the Alaksan woman's hand (I can't wait to chop garlic with this thing). Many people who live there are in my mind true environmentalists: Subsistance living. The vistas are fantastic. Alaska is the best of both worlds: Mountain and ocean. I don't think I could ever tire of visiting Alaska.

Next posting look for pictures and play by play descriptions of what we did. Just a taste: We saw Humpback Whales, a pod of Orcas; We slogged to the Alaganik; I flew on a plane with no bathroom and just 20 seats!; We brought home 50lbs of fish and are getting 30 cans of smoked salmon mailed to us...

No comments: