Fall

Fall

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Thoughts on the green revolution






Thanks to Al Gore we can all become environmentalists. I have thought about ways I can be greener than before. I do struggle with the "becoming" part when I have to give up daily conveniences. For a while, I was going to take public transportation to work. It would take about 50 minutes each way, but I was willing to do it at a time when Regis covered RTD passes. Then, they discontinued that full benefit and so my interest in public transport died. The thought I would spend 100 minutes a day commuting instead of my 40 minutes a day commuting AND it would have to come out of pocket seemed like an unattractive option. So, I continue to put carbon into the air on a daily basis. I am trying not to consume as much as I did before. Instead of buying new clothes or shoes, I ask "do I really need that?" and end up not clothes shopping. I try to recycle as much as I can, and I feel like I get away with throwing all sorts of things into our purple bin. So I guess that is good. But, since Mike and I have started the kitchen I feel like a real green offender. We have bags of kitchen trash that we take one by one out to the garbage...we wash out paintbrushes and buckets in the sink downstairs, we use plastic cups, plates and forks because we don't have a kitchen sink to do dishes. I like to think that I am at least countering my contribution to the landfill by saving water and not doing dishes....but who am I kidding? I did join a very cool website called GenGreen.org It is a company out of Fort Collins that is trying to connect people with the green revolution. Perhaps this will give me some motivation for finding creative green solutions. I suppose it is all about pushing me out of my comfort zone and looking at things in a different way.

No comments: