Fall

Fall

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Two weeks too long

It has been some time since I wrote. Mike has been very sick and I don't have the energy to blog. Tonight I do, as I have been doing follow up emails since the trip to the hospital.

Yes...the hospital. Mike was admitted to the ER on Monday with many strange symptoms...an increased heart rate, swelling, fever, chills, low oxygen, you name it. They diagnosed him with pneumonia and he is hospitalized, at this point for an indefinite amount of time.

His illness has made me reflect on the meaning of Christmas. I (we) have given up many obligatory and not obligatory but desired Christmas activities. This Christmas, honestly, I don't want to even think or deal with these activities. I just want him home. Home with a house that is lit up by a Christmas tree. Home where I can give him those damned sheep skin slippers and they actually fit his feet (I gave him an early present only to find at this time they don't fit). I want to cozy up at my parent's place with a glass of wine and yummy food on the mind. I honestly don't care about gifts...I just want my family and my Mike. My friends...well...I am planning to throw a well deserved birthday party so I will see you all then (except for a select few where I will talk to you before February!).

The small things give me joy. Driving home from the hospital, Washington street homes are all lit up. I revel in the kindness of the nurses and doctors at PSL. The calls and emails from family and friends letting us know Mike is in their thoughts and prayers. A good glass of wine after a long day and a good night's sleep with Ches and Stan by my side...literally. I just want Mike home, though, regardless of the season or holiday. I miss him.

Who knows when that will be. No definitive answers are given, just more tests, blood work, pillows for the feet, antibiotics. Soon, he will be restless. For now, though, I am glad he is there and not here...nothing helped him here. Except for the love of a wife, a dog named Chester and a dog named Stan.

No comments: