Fall

Fall

Monday, May 11, 2009

Cheers to oncology nurses!

Mike is still in the hospital. I am not sure what we are waiting for as far as him coming home; I know pain management is a big thing but what are the other benchmarks? Everyday we face something new...a procedure for this...a fever...low sodium...One doctor tells us "You can go home this day" and then almost a week from that day passes and he is still there. Well...the good news is that the oncology floor is moving to a renovated part of the building. The rooms are big, the family room has games, DVD players and such, there are new TVs in the rooms. So, if he is going to stay a while then it sounds like this is the right time to be there.

I love oncology nurses. They are so kind, compassionate, and are very in-tune with pain and managing the pain. I was talking to his night nurse about why she chose oncology. She said she gets to know the patients personally because often they are long term in the hospital. Now that is what healthcare should be all about! Almost all oncology nurses we have had have been wonderful, except of course with the exception of two or three...the "lecture" nurse and the "deaf" nurse we could do without.

My husband is so brave. He tries any procedure they throw at him without batting an eye-if it might work or help then why not? He lives through NPO status (while I would die of starvation!) and people pricking and prodding and poking. Honestly, if I were in his shoes I would need an adequate dose of Xanax to get through the day. Not Mike...he has always been the braver and stronger of the two of us. I am not down on myself...just acknowledging that while my husband can spend a year in Antarctica I can't even sit through traffic on I-25 without having a nervous breakdown.

No comments: