Fall

Fall

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Slam Poetry

On Monday night I went to an event at a bookstore on 42nd and Tennyson street called Labtop Poetry. It was definitely an event that pushed me outside my comfort zone, but it was really interesting and fun. Two Mondays a month, a group of people get together to write poetry through a workshop, and then the other two Mondays are open mic nights where people can get up and share. This was the first meeting, so everyone was a little timid but I was so amazed at what people created! We learned how to use hyperboles and metaphors when writing which was really helpful to me because my writing style can be a little straightforward. I think I will give it a try a few more times and see if I can create some interesting poetry.

I get another Denver Art Museum date with dad tomorrow-one of my most favorite things to do. There is a western art exhibit and then we will have lunch at The Cherokee Inn. Today I am going to the Cherry Creek Farmers Market to eat my way across the market and then to have coffee with a friend. I do need to look for a little job in the next few weeks-I am starting to feel the need for a routine that a job can bring. October and November are applications for MSW programs-I am going to apply at DU and at PSU (just for kicks). I think my summer of renewal, relaxation and rejuvenation has done me well. Although when people ask what I have been doing this summer, I can't always give them details on what I have done...more like verbs: read, walked, practiced yoga, slept, loved life.

I am missing Mikey. Meg and I have talked about the seasons and how they can make grief a little more pronounced. I think I feel his absence more around season change than I do around major life events. As the weather changes to fall, memories of things like Sunday Broncos games, coffee outings, and trips to Tattered Cover with a warm beverage come to mind, those memories of comfort. So, I will do them in his honor and maybe get a little feeling that he is with me.

No comments: