Fall

Fall

Thursday, October 20, 2011

3 down, 2 to go

I am breathing a sigh of relief, sipping a Coors light and under the covers with the laptop, finally ready to actually post something real. I had a huge realization lately that I need to stop being so intense about grad school and let it flow. My teachers keep talking about self-care and after 6 weeks of classes I am finally going to listen to them.

I just finished 3 midterm assignments today-a presentation, a test and a paper. I haven't taken a test in something like 13 years so I was a bit rusty on my study skills, but I think I did alright. I have another paper due next week as well as another presentation and then midterms are over, with finals just around the corner.

But you know what? I have decided to tell myself, "it is what it is." Maybe I don't get all A's this term. Maybe I don't present as well as I used to. Maybe my APA citations in my paper aren't always buttoned up. Maybe I choose not to participate in class on a day I feel more introverted. I went into this program with this notion that I was going to be a top-notch, stellar student. But that kind of perspective hasn't led me to enjoy life along with all the craziness of grad school. Who says I have to choose? So, I decided to start that self-care my teachers talk about. I went for a walk with Liz on Monday morning. I started reading a great fiction book, something I haven't done in a while. I make time to watch my favorite TV shows, and I give myself a day off every week. These are just baby steps toward enjoying a balance-of being a student along with everything else life has to offer. Besides, no one wants to pour their hearts out to a stressed out social worker.

This weekend I will have some of that balance. Paper writing, yes. Saturday, though, will be my day off. I am getting my hair cut and colored which is always a treat. I get to finally see the Schultz family to catch up over dinner. Maybe I will treat myself to a coffee at Tattered Cover and a stroll amongst the bookshelves. Or a nap. Or a walk at the park. I can't let these little things in life become commodities...

Remind me of this post during finals, will you?

No comments: