Fall

Fall

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Goodbye, Old Friend

Serendipity. I have been noticing the little and not so little things in life that aren't necessarily explainable. Not coincidences; no, not that simple. It is the elf that randomly showed up in my garden and lit up on its own on my anniversary. It is saying goodbye to an old friend only to know that another person has been made very happy.

Let me explain.

A few weeks ago I had the Jetta serviced and found out it needs a new catalytic converter. It is pretty pricey because the mechanic wants to use Jetta parts which is the recommended way to go. I started pondering selling the Jetta or donating it to public radio. Since I was on the fence I didn't get the catalytic converter done at that time. One day after it had snowed I had come home driving my truck. My neighbor approached me and asked if I would consider selling it; that he had a friend who wanted a Toyota Tacoma 5-speed. I hemmed and hawed, because I do like the truck for some things, and it was Mikey's pride and joy. I finally connected with the guy and he loved it. He has a dog, too, so the dog hair didn't bother him. It all felt so right and I didn't even have second thoughts once I met him and saw how happy this truck would make him. We talked price, I asked him what he would pay and he offered $5000 more than I was thinking of asking (we both chose different search terms on various auto websites that look at resale value). I let him take it to his mechanic and the mechanic gave it glowing reviews.

This morning we made the exchange-money for me, truck for him. I watched him drive off after he promised me he would take as good of care of it as Mike and I did. And I believe him.

Where I was once pondering selling the one car, the other one was sold in literally a perfect situation. Serendipity.

Goodbye, Old Friend. You made Mike and me very happy. We moved appliances and furniture and tile in you; you helped us move friends to new houses. You took Mike to his PET scans safely and took Chester and Stanley to Chatfield to run and play. You and I went to Wyoming together, to Glenwood Springs, to Steamboat, to Winter Park, to Estes Park, to Wilderness Ranch on those washboard roads. You endured having your insides covered in dog hair because you knew you took us to places that were fun. You are going to make your new owner very happy, and you have allowed me to sock away some money for a new car someday. Enjoy your new life, the new dog who gets the backseat all to himself and a new "gear head" owner who will keep you bright and spiffy.


Here's to you!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.