Fall

Fall

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Little Night Away

Over the past 5 years, since Mike has been gone, I have taken a liking to overnights elsewhere. There is something about staying in a hotel, eating out at a really great restaurant, window shopping, and reading in the hotel room that just says, "Soothe the soul." Life has treated me to many opportunities to stay overnight elsewhere, and moving back to Denver is no exception. I am starting my new job on Tuesday, so if I want to indulge a little now is the time. That, and I am sure Mom and Dad wouldn't mind a little time to themselves without their new "roommate" hovering about.

I first considered going to Hotel St. Julien in Boulder, my all time favorite hotel getaway. The price for a room, however, was not in the budget of a new job starter, so I opted again for the Table Mountain Inn in Golden, which does not disappoint. The only thing it needs is a pool or hot tub and it would be, ahem, "Golden". Otherwise, it is a wonderful little Southwest style hotel with a restaurant to match. I stayed here in 2012 around Christmas when I was on break from my MSW program and fell in love with the Southwest decor, friendly staff, and to-die-for menu. There is a fitness center on the 5th floor which allows me to work off whatever dinner or breakfast delicacies there are. And, a number of cute shops within walking distance, where I am headed after writing this blog post.

I started my Golden getaway with a trip to Golden Gate Canyon State Park. I bought a state parks pass when I was in Montrose because I went to Ridgway a lot. Golden Gate is a little different because it is in the canyon and there are many a trail with quick inclines. I drove around and found a few trails where I hiked for a little while, but not too far, though I had my handy walking stick to ward off any mountain lions or coyotes (I read about too many mountain lion-human interactions on the Western Slope, thus the walking stick). It was a beautiful day and really no one around. There was some snow on the higher inclines. I then discovered a few Jeffco open space parks I need to revisit. It was a lot of fun to get to know my own backyard once again, and a relief to realize I don't have to drive 5 hours to find beauty and solitude.

I am getting ready to wander a few shops, and then plan to eat at theTable Mountain Inn restaurant. I have a book club book to finish for Thursday (I can't return to bookclub without having read the book!) and so a relaxing night is indeed in store for me, just as I am finishing a relaxing day.


One of the lakes driving through the park

"Mule Deer Trail"

View from "Panorama Point"

Centennial Cone Park, a Jeffco open space park

Aack! Snow!

View from the inn's balcony

Me, ready for a little hotel R-N-R

No comments: