Fall

Fall

Friday, November 7, 2014

A short time gone...things have changed

Funny. I Googled "Short Time Gone" because I was sure that saying was a song,  and what came up was my all time favorite Grateful Dead song "Box of Rain".



So interesting that, no matter the years that pass by, my connection to the Grateful Dead is still there. I will always have a secret desire to be reborn in Haight Ashbury in the 1960's.

Something I find interesting about moving back to Denver is how little, but also how much, has changed in the past year. And how interesting it is to plop myself into the middle of everything during various time periods and to notice what is different and the same.

Take First Friday on Santa Fe Drive. I used to go a lot after Mike died. First Friday events are the one event I could always attend solo and never feel out of place. But three, four, or five years ago they were different...just different. Tonight I went with Dad and we had a great time! But I noticed a few small changes, noticeable enough for me to be caught off guard because I have only been gone a year.

First, there are food trucks. And more food trucks. When I started going to First Fridays, you might hope to see the art and then attempt to eat at El Noa Noa at 8pm if there wasn't a line. Now, you just have to hit up a food truck at any given point in the evening-One will be there. Second, sometimes you could get a head start on First Friday. Start checking out the galleries after getting really good parking around 5 or 5:30. Now, it seems people are parked and ready to peruse way earlier than the 5pm mark. Third...the galleries! It seems they have multiplied, as has the talent. My favorite addition this year is the gallery space with the showing by local Veterans. The one thing I really took to heart after working on the Western Slope is the commitment of those who serve the country. I got to be the social worker for World War 2 and Korean Vets, for goodness sake. Tonight at this gallery, these young men who served in Iraq and Afghanistan were proudly showing their art. I shook hands and thanked them for their service. Truly. No matter how much a pacifist I am and a hater of war, I revere our service folks for what they do for their country and for the likes of people like me. This gallery was an addition I would like to see more of in the future.

A short time gone, things have changed, and I am okay with it all.




1 comment:

Mailornish said...

So much changes over the course of a year. It's nice to have a definitive gauge to measure the time passing. Still, busy life and all, it's good to catch a glimpse of your smiling face and share a drink with you. I long for the days of happy hour and careless time flatulence. But I'm m ore streamlined now; I catch up with those I really want too: even if it's only once or twice a month.