Fall

Fall

Sunday, February 15, 2015

My beauties; Greyhound and an Orchid

I threw myself a small birthday gathering to celebrate the last year in my 30th decade. Nothing to write home about, just a little birthday brunch with a smattering of the most beautiful women in Colorado.
My favorite part of the brunch was centered around the question "How do you know Melanie?" My beautiful friends don't all run in the same circles, and some met today for the first time. We had so much fun telling stories from all walks, and we acknowledged that we all have a thread that brings us together....our amazing-ness. Even if I do say so myself!

Jill was spontaneous and asked if I wanted to go to a movie later, to which I said "Yes!" We saw "The Imitation Game" and I don't have a tear left in my ducts. Walking away from that movie, the stronger my lack of tolerance for intolerance washed all over me. I went from a lovely gathering of amazing women who connected to watching a movie about an amazing man who was the victim of other people's judgements. I have begun to have little to no tolerance for accepting the viewpoints of people who have not walked in another's shoes. And my heart just beats stronger for those people who persevere despite adversity. You go, people!

My heart is opening for a 4-legged. My job at Sacred Heart House has given me a lot of peace regarding worrying around the future of my work life, but this worry also worked its way into my thinking about a companion. Now that I have the job, a companion is next in the equation of life satisfaction. I started considering the right kind of dog and came across the Colorado Greyhound Rescue. I learned that the breed are "couch potatoes" and "gentle giants" and sleep, let's just say, a lot. Perfect for condo living, their demeanor is calm, cool and collected in most cases (except off leash non fenced in, where seeing a squirrel could mean trouble). I went to a meet and greet the other day and met some beautiful hounds. I filled out an application and have a home visit scheduled on Thursday. Once that goes well, I could have my new companion in a month or so, hopefully after I get back from Arizona at the end of March.

The other day, I had a really interesting realization. There is a similarity to me between a Greyhound and an orchid. Mom, Dad and I went to the orchid showcase at Denver Botanic Gardens recently, and there is a similarity there I can't quite place my finger on. The beauty? The gracefulness? The importance of loving care and attention? The thin-ness of the figure and delicacy of the features? I am not sure, but I see the two being related somehow.



No comments: