Fall

Fall

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Letters to the Editor

This morning I went out to take the boys for a walk and there was a bag filled with plastic bags with a note from my neighbors: "We read your letter and are here to help!" I never thought anyone read letters to the editor, but I guess they do. That didn't stop me from writing one to the Washington Park Profile. The days Mike was out of town, I became a neighborhood activist. I wrote a letter to the mayor begging for an off leash dog park at Washington Park. After coming back from San Diego, which is a very dog friendly city with dog parks everywhere, I was feeling bad for the boys and wanted to advocate for a dog park within walking distance. I also wrote my letter to the editor at the Wash Park Profile concerning 2 things: First, I encouraged the residents to pick up their dog poop especially during snowy days. When the snow thawed, there was dog poop everywhere! It is like people think the poop disappears or something when it falls into the snow. I also asked for feedback as to how to reconcile sustainability with dog poop. Stores are leaning toward going plastic bag free, so how can I pick up the poop? I had a week there where I was so low on bags I was taking extra bags from those Milk jugs people hang on poles and pouring cereal into ziplocs so I could use those. Now, thanks to people like my neighbors who actually do read letters to the editor I have a good supply of pick up bags to last me a while. Maybe my next letter should ask for $100 dollar bills?

No comments: