Fall

Fall

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Togie





I just had the most splendid weekend. I was in the mood for some quiet, R & R and self-pampering. I had enjoyed the hot springs lodge and spa in Saratoga and after determining it was going to be a good weekend weather wise made reservations. "Togie" as the locals call it takes a bit to get to in the winter season-after Memorial weekend the scenic highway opens up which shaves about an hour off the drive. The dogs and I needed a break from one another, so I happily, and they excitedly, entered the kennel where I know they have gotten much love and needed exercise. Yesterday I got in around 3pm, took a soak in the hot springs and then had an herbal body wrap. I was wrapped in a cocoon of sheets and towels soaked in herbs for detoxification for about 45 minutes. A heater was on in the room, so I laid peacefully and sweat out toxins and just breathed in the relaxation. I didn't fall asleep but rather into a meditative state, which was lovely. After the wrap, I took a shower and took a walk. This is the north Platte river and pictures of a sad attempt at a self portrait. I ate dinner at the lodge-a delightful meal of mushroom chorizo and a sweet potato soup. I soaked again in the hot springs and read...and read...and read...and finally went to sleep.

Today I got up, took a nice jog around the river and the town, soaked in the springs again, ate breakfast, and took a scenic drive up as far as I could on Hwy 130 (This is the highway closed at a certain point until Memorial weekend). Locals talked about the wild horses along that road, and I found them! They are so beautiful with long manes and tails. I then hit the highway home, stopping in Fort Collins for a late lunch with an old friend. The dogs are at the kennel until tomorrow, so the plan is to curl up in bed, read some more, and go to bed early, reveling in waking up without the stomp of Chester's paws demanding breakfast.

1 comment:

Jeannie (Jiji) McCarron said...

Reading this, I felt like I was there with you, Mel. Thanks for that. I enjoyed the trip very much.