Fall

Fall

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Purpose and Inspiration

I was told today that I inspired someone.

There is one of the cutest families that live down my block. The little girl is about 3 years old and the boy is about 1 years old. The wife works at home part time and cares for the kids; the husband works in the finance industry. He's had it tough for sure with this past year and the struggles his industry has been facing. I told them a few weeks ago that I quit my job to just enjoy life for a while. Today, while walking the dogs, I see him and the family outside. It is around 4:30 in the afternoon. The wife told me that I inspired her husband to just...take time off. So he took the week. No vacation plans, no obligations-a little golf, some family time, and I saw him sipping a glass of wine. He looked relaxed and ready to enjoy his week. I felt on cloud 9 because I am so glad to know that my decision is one that makes people think twice about their own situations. I think, all too often, we get stuck in what we are "supposed" to do, but whatever that means is based on other people's definitions, not necessarily our own. So, to know I inspired at least one person was pretty meaningful today.

I had a good day. I got up around 7am, walked the dogs and then went to the park for my hour walk. I did a little cleaning and prepared lunch for 5 members of the Cycling for Change committee who came over for a meeting. We met for about 4 hours, and I didn't feel constrained by time. I pretty much took the perspective that it took as long as it took. I have a number of action items to complete before our next meeting, but I think we were productive enough. It felt good to do something with a purpose today, and that is probably how my time off will be: a little alone time, a little time with the dogs, some time with friends, and then working on something with a purpose. I am just so excited to see how this summer unfolds!

No comments: