Fall

Fall

Friday, November 4, 2011

The Art of Non-judgment

My first quarter in social work school wraps up in two weeks. I don't even want to think about what finals are going to look like...picture a very messy house, with two dogs looking pathetically about the room, all the while I am running around trying to write papers, answer essay questions and prepare presentations. As this is happening I am eating already prepared foods and drinking more coffee than water. The mantra during this time is November 22nd...it will be done.

What have I taken away from this quarter of social work school? That non-judgement is at the heart of every good social worker. As I have developed this understanding over the quarter, I become more interested as to why we as humans feel so compelled to judge other people? Social work has taught me some basic principle of being human: Social justice, self-determination, do least harm, dignity and worth of persons...These principles go against the human desire to judge one another. And why would person X think they know what is best for person Y? That is becoming more baffling to me every day. We are, after all, the experts on our own lives. I know what works in my life and what doesn't. Sure, maybe I make a mistake and do what doesn't work sometimes, but I am my own life coach.

We hide behind the notion that we interfere in others' lives because we "care too much" or "don't want to see another hurt" or "we know what is best." But the reality is we are all scared. Fear is what motivates us often times; not love. Because if love were the motivator the words "it should happen this way" wouldn't exist.

I am looking forward to what I learn in my second quarter...

No comments: