Fall

Fall

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Moving on With Me

I just broke up with Facebook. One reason I broke up with Facebook is that I always found it weird that I was privy to people’s private lives. Like, pictures of a newborn from a person I didn’t know well. And then I would see that person at some function and ask them about their baby, a newborn who I never met or knew the mother well or went to the baby shower. I also have felt in the past strange when I see someone, say, at work or at school and we aren't that close, but I know all about their personal life, and when I see them I feel awkward because I never know if I should say anything about what they had posted about this or that. I also dislike being tagged in photos, even though I have tagged people in my photos. I have got to thinking...Who cares where I spent last night? Does my picture on Facebook somehow determine whether I am cool or if I even exist? And what if last night I went out with a person I like but you don't, and our photo was tagged and now you won’t talk to me? Where are my own boundaries in this age of technology? But, the reality of it is that my life was enriched by another person for almost 10 years and Facebook was never involved. We hiked when we felt like it without telling others of our adventures. We ate at various restaurants without having to inform the world. We went to a ball game on the spur of the moment without it being a big deal…just something fun to do. My life is enriched now by some of the most amazing people where Facebook is not the connection. My life is enriched by you, the person who wants to be a part of it, and it doesn’t need to be tagged or plotted or commented about. So, while Facebook and I had a good long relationship, it is time to try something new, a little more authentic, a little more meaningful.

No comments: