Fall

Fall

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Smells

Most of the time, I use bath and lotion products that come from places like Crabtree and Evelyn or from a natural product vendor at the farmer's market. I recently purchased a number of soaps-lavender and lemon, patchouli and orange, coffee ground kitchen soap-from a woman at the Pearl St market that is there every year. I also purchase the Loreal shampoo, conditioner and leave in conditioner from my salon. I figure since I spend so much on color I should have a good product. I also associate smells with places where I have lived or visited. Crabtree and Evelyn's rose lotion and bath gel reminds me of Paris. Anything cucumber-melon reminds me of living in Glenwood. Dewberry from The Body Shop reminds me of being 16 and in high school. Caress soap reminds me of staying with my Aunt Kakie and the smell of her linen closet or after she would get out of the shower. I was at Target today and I was lured by the wall of hair and bath products that lined the walls. It was all the cheap stuff-Clairol, Suave, you get the picture-but it was lined up according to color and it popped. It was luxurious to look at. I was drawn in. I bought Herbal Essences shampoo that smells like pomegranate and a Suave body wash that smells like the ocean breeze. I was drawn to these items because I am going to Wilderness Ranch again this year and wanted a smell-a fresh, bright smell-to remind me of the Ranch. There is nothing better than after a day of hiking or fishing to take a hot shower with smells of bright colored products. I love it when a bathroom is full of these scents-citrus, fruit, fresh linen, ocean breeze...just as much as I love a bathroom that smells like lavender or rose. Here are two pictures from last year's trek to the Ranch...just a taste of what is yet to come... I did pamper myself Sunday night and stayed at the Highland Haven B&B in Evergreen. There, I used the product they had in the bathroom...a "fresh cotton" revitalizing shampoo, conditioner, and soap. It was a lovely place to stay and the morning breakfast was exceptional. It is geared more toward couples, I think, because you can buy a paving stone with you and your sweetie's names on it. I liked this one-I wonder where Dusty and Kat are now? These are other pictures of how relaxing this place is. Yesterday, I enjoyed the smell of suntan lotion, although I didn't use enough of it. Liz and I sat by her pool for almost two hours and I only used one application of SPF 30. Oops. Needless to say I have a nice patchy little sunburn all over my arms and legs. I will need to fix that sometime this summer. Smell can be an important self-care tool, and I intend to take complete advantage of it.

1 comment:

Mailornish said...

I love the brick photo! What a great getaway.