Fall

Fall

Friday, August 17, 2012

Enchanted, indeed!

I am officially in love with the state of New Mexico! There is something about "the land of enchantment" I haven't felt in other states. I got into Santa Fe on Monday afternoon, and mom and dad got in about an hour later. We met up and had a delicious dinner at The Shed:
After dinner, I showed mom and dad my little B&B called the Madeleine Inn that was just up Palace Road:
They retired for the evening, and I headed to the Plaza where I listened to a local band play. I also moseyed over to The La Fonda and listened to the band they had there. The next day, I was set to go to Abiquiu to see Georgia O'Keefe's studio and home. However, mom and dad had to leave early afternoon to go to Taos and since this side trip would take much of the day I decided to stay around Santa Fe so I could spend more time with them. I met them for lunch near the Loretto Chapel and we walked Canyon Road and some of the art galleries and saw some of the local homes:
Mom and Dad headed to Taos, and I had a little siesta at the hotel. I then wandered around town and treated myself to a three course meal at Illuminario:
The next day, I drove "The High Road" to Taos. It was beautiful! I stopped at the Sanctuario de Chimayo, which is an old church said to have mysical powers:
The drive to Taos was beautiful, with little villages along the way. Also, lots of little cemetaries dotted the landscape:
I got into Taos and had a little lunch at my hotel, The Historic Taos Inn:
I met up with mom and dad, and we went to their hotel. I fell in love with it...The Inn on the Rio is owned by Robert and Jules, along with their dog Stormy. They purchased the property which was an old rundown motel lodge around 17 years ago and transformed it into a little oasis:
We walked around the plaza and had a delicious dinner at The Dragonfly which was referred to me by Amy (Thanks, girl! Great recommendation!). We drove to the Taos Pueblo and they were closed for the evening. Mom and dad then retired for the evening and I listened to some music at my hotel. Yesterday morning, Jules and Robert had invited me to breakfast at their inn. So, along with mom and dad, we enjoyed a egg and apple savory breakfast pancake, homemade bread by Robert (which mom and I bought a loaf!) and some other treats. We all went our separate ways and drove home. It felt good to get out of the car 5 hours later, but I certainly miss my enchanted land.

1 comment:

Mailornish said...

What an awesome trip! We stayed at the Inn on the Rio the last time we were there too! Glad you went to the Dragonfly cafe and liked it. Wish I was there to share in the fun.