Fall

Fall

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

It's that time of year

The week surrounding August 28th always leads to a little tension, a few sleepless nights, and of course a few tears. I can't believe 3 years has come and gone since Mike died; sometimes it feels like a long time ago, and sometimes it feels like just yesterday. The past three years I have chosen to spend this time up in the mountains, and especially at the YMCA Estes Park camp. This year was no exception. Chester, Stan and I went up on Sunday and spent two nights there. As usual, it was lovely. Sunday afternoon before we rolled into camp we stopped at the grocery store and I bought fixings to make pizza for dinner. We were able to secure our favorite cabin-Robin's Nest-and settled in during the afternoon. I had a cup of tea, and the boys had a chew. I took a long walk, and then made pizza and salad for dinner. I read an entire book that evening, while sitting on the wraparound front porch. Monday, we got up, had breakfast, and I took the boys to Mary's Lake. I let them play in the water for a bit, we walked around the lake, and then came home. Later, Dad met me in town for lunch (Mom and Robert have been in Rochester for a wedding, so Dad came up for the day). After lunch, we drove into Rocky Mountain National Park and drove Trail Ridge Road to the highest point. Along the way, we were slowed down by three bull elk grazing right night to the road. It was a beautiful drive and the view at the Alpine Visitor Center was spectacular. After our drive, we grabbed some coffee and Dad went home. I had leftover pizza and started on another book before bed. This morning, the boys and I drove highway 7 through Allenspark into Nederland. Mike, the boys and I used to go to Nederland after our long hikes at Lost Lake, so it was appropriate that we stop at the park and have lunch. We then drove home, to the cemetary first, and I took an hour nap. Dad and I met for dinner and Mom and Robert will be home later tonight. I don't need to keep exalting the wonders of the YMCA camp, but I will. I don't know what it is about that place but it is so relaxing to me. Interestingly enough, when I go there and into RMNP I feel peaceful, almost like I feel Mike's presence. He loved the mountains after all, so I suppose it makes sense that I feel his presence when I am in the mountains. But being in RMNP I feel it so much more, like I can picture him camping by a lake or hiking through the tundra. Thus, it was the most perfect place where I could have spent the past few days.

1 comment:

Mailornish said...

Thinking about you and sending my love. What a great way to spend time reconnecting with Mike's spirit and some of the good times your family shared together.