Fall

Fall

Sunday, December 28, 2014

My "10 Before 40" Bucket List

I have been giving thought to how I think 2015 will be my year. I feel it right down into the marrow of my bones. There are a few things that haven't been settled, like the whole "get a job" thing and moving into the condo. Otherwise, I really do feel 2015 will be that year I look upon at its end thinking, "This was a really great year!"

2014 wasn't so bad, actually. Living in Montrose and working in rural hospice social work was life changing. In Montrose, I learned how to be alone without being lonely. I saw baby calves and sheep being born. I experienced the most wonderful night skies and sunrises to write home about. I wrote letters, I created artistic work, I explored places I have never been, I put 40,000 miles on my new car, I cooked up a storm, and I learned the significance that family and friends have in my life. I also was honored to be a small part of people's end of life journeys which is something I will always treasure.


I realized the other day, though, that 2015 actually hovers on another significant time...that it is my last year of being in my 30's. I will be 39 on February 11th and then I enter a whole new age bracket. I know some people don't really look at age to be significant but in a way I do. As time marches on and I am still blessed to be on this earth, age is something I do think about. I am already planning my 40th-plans range from a Viking river cruise in Europe, to a weekend spa at Camelback Resort in Arizona, to a weekend at the Glenwood Springs pool under a rented cabana (any of which will be determined by whether those nearest and dearest can join me). However, as Meg and I discussed tonight, I tend to fare better when I live in routine and structure. I tried for a long time to just be one of those "go with the flow" people but I do have a pretty strong comfort zone I like quite a bit. So, in the spirit of structure and routine, I believe goal-setting is key. Thus I have come up with my "10 Before 40" bucket list. All items are tangible and appear to be something I can work toward. Note: Skydiving is not on the list. I am waiting until my 90th birthday much like President Bush Sr. I will keep you updated on my status of checking off items from this list!

  1. Train for and Hike one 14er…even if it is one of the easiest
  2. Go backpacking/camping at least once
  3. See one really great band in concert (by "really great" I mean Coldplay, or The Eagles, or U2, or Taylor Swift, or anyone like that)
  4. Go to the ocean again, get my feet in sand
  5. Write and illustrate the first book of my children’s book series “Hugs and the Friends” about a little white bear who takes on the world with his friends (yes, this is something I have wanted to do for a while now)
  6. Find a job that I can’t wait to get up for in the morning
  7. Find that perfect dog just waiting for me to take him or her home
  8. Get a 3 speed bike and ride along the Crystal River, from Carbondale to Redstone
  9. Go on a guided weekend retreat
  10. Learn how to perfectly roast a whole chicken


No comments: