Fall

Fall

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Taos part 2

What a joy it was to wake up in Taos this morning! I got a really good night's sleep and woke pretty early. I grabbed some complimentary coffee and took myself on a walk along the South end of the Paseo. As is the charm and nature of Taos, there were many picture perfect places even just along the Paseo.



Taos is well known for being an artist community, and that means all forms, including fiber arts. What I love about Taos is everything seems to have texture. Here are some fiber pieces hanging in front of various stores…one a yarn store, the other an interior design shop…



I went to the Farmer's Market after my morning meandering, coffee, and shower. I found some home made breakfast burritos, bought the BEST salsa I have ever eaten, listened to various musicians on the plaza and just enjoyed a non-crowded Taos morning.


I stuck mostly to the agenda I had put forth yesterday. I left around 9am for the High Road from Taos to Santa Fe. Truly, it is probably one of my favorite things to do on this planet! It is a combination of nature with small villages along the way. Most villages have art galleries and old churches and cemeteries that dot the land. And I love me a cemetery.


This was a cemetery near the town of Truchas, New Mexico



At the Harwood Museum, I saw this painting called "Decoration Day." It looks like an entire village is involved in decorating graves. Why I love New Mexico cemeteries is the contrast between the often very old graves with the fresh fake flowers that decorate the graves. It shows that someone, still, no matter how long ago the person died still has people remembering him or her, whether it be new familial generations or members of the community. 
I found graves from the mid 1900's that still had newer flowers decorating them!


The high road is just a real treat…no traffic, a minimal speed limit so you can just cruise and enjoy the drive.




I came back and went to the E. Blumenschein house/museum and the Harwood Museum. Both made me reflect on the artist pioneers of the early 20th century. The Harwood Museum had an exhibit dedicated to the "Renaissance Woman" Mabel Dodge Luhan who was one of the first people to bring artists and writers to the West and Taos, NM. I would like to believe in time travel along with reincarnation. I would love to come back to this world as one of those pioneers. Travelling from Paris or New York on a train to New Mexico in, like, 1915. To be among the creative souls who so effectively represented New Mexico during the early 20th century and where we all can see the history and landscape from various perspectives. 

I will grab some dinner, listen to a few tunes from the Boxcar Bandits who are playing in the lounge tonight, and hit the sack early. I get to return home to my Rene tomorrow, but not before I continue my journey, which will include more sightseeing and inspirations from the road!

No comments: