Fall

Fall

Friday, July 8, 2016

Taos part 1

I had been looking forward to my weekend trip to Taos this weekend for a long time. I don't travel much without Rene, so I decided it was time to get away without my sweet girl. Robert agreed to take care of her, so I thought of where to go. Where would Rene hate going that I would enjoy by myself? I needed a short time, because it is the first time I left her with anyone for more than an overnight and, well, let's just say I am in "baby step" mode. So, I decided on my favorite little artist town and came to Taos today, where Rene would hate the crowds and plaza and I wouldn't be able to do much having her with me.

I haven't been on a 4-5 hour road trip for a while, and it felt good once I got off I-25 and hit the rural Southwest Colorado roads. I turned off for Taos in the little town of Fort Gardner. I saw this sight and it reminded me why I love rural Colorado-the harshness of old metal against the softness of trees once again against the harsh outline of the Rocky Mountains.


I got into Taos just in time for hotel check in and a very brief nap. My favorite place to stay in Taos is the Inn on the Rio, a motor inn owned by a wonderful couple with a hearty and delicious homemade breakfast every morning. The rooms are creatively done (they commissioned Taos artists to paint murals both on the outside and inside of the motel) and the owners are just so nice to visit with. However, this time I stayed at the Historic Taos Inn for a few reasons. It is across the street from the plaza and has its own parking, so I can avoid the Taos congestion and walk everywhere. Plus, it has music every night of the week in its lounge. It gives me something to do if I don't want to go to bed yet. So, after my much needed nap, I walked through the hotel and there was a musician playing and singing in the lobby. She was adorable! Tracy Rae Clark. She is one of those generous spirits who appears to live a very creative existence. She got the crowd singing, playing instruments, and invited this gentleman to play the harmonica with her.


I listened for a while, and then decided to wander around. I found myself at the Alley Cantina for dinner, a locals hang out with New Mexican fare and, oddly, voted the best fish and chips. I ate a chile relleno platter because who can resist one of those and planned my day for tomorrow. I continued to wander around and capture some photos of Taos buildings and flowers and such, one of my favorite things to do. The plaza was quiet, not many shops or galleries open, and not many people walking around. I kind of felt like I had it all to myself.




I gave a lot of thought for tomorrow…it is the annual Pow Wow but I didn't find that out until recently. Plus, I am not a huge crowd person. So, I think this is the agenda:
-Get up early, go to the farmer's market and see if I can wrangle myself some breakfast
-Drive the high road for a bit, the scenic road between Taos and Santa Fe. There is a gallery halfway along I love to stop by. I also love the New Mexican cemeteries that dot the landscape.
-Come back, and head to a few museums: The Harwood Museum has a really great exhibit about the pioneer women artists of Taos who painted in the early 1900's; Go the Blumenschein House and Museum and see how that famed painter lived and worked; Drive to the Milicent Rogers museum as I have been told it is amazing
-Rest up, listen to more music in the hotel lounge, and eat someplace I haven't before 

Sunday I think I am going to take the "long way home" after driving to the little village of Arroyo Seco and seeing the Royal Gorge. 

It sounds like a lot of driving for a short period of time, but I love driving. I didn't love driving as a hospice worker, but I love driving through Rural Colorado. I put on some tunes, or I always try to find whatever public radio station I can get, and just let the road take me where it may.

Robert reported earlier that Rene was doing fine and hasn't run away yet (ha ha!!) so I know she is in good hands.

Ahhh…Taos, I love you! 

XO Mel


No comments: