Fall

Fall

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Computer literacy

I taught my first Morey Rec Center computer class last night for the term. I was so proud of myself-I was all organized, created a questionnaire, a syllabus, and even outlined the topics for discussion. The class is adorable! Of course, all adults, and most know nothing about computers. If you want to feel successful in teaching something, this is the class to teach! The demographic varies...some are older, some are younger...two don't own a computer...It felt great to have these people looking at me, waiting to hear the next thing I had to say. Now I hope I can actually teach them something.

Teaching is an amazing vocation. Teachers hold so much power...the power to influence, to educate, to change one's perception of things. As I do this more and more, I become conscious of what I am saying, doing, how is it helping students, not helping, am I engaging them enough...this process has a lot of synergy. I am so far feeling pretty good about it all!

1 comment:

Rickster said...

There is no doubt in my mind that you are a great teacher. Though why anyone would want to teaching computing is way beyond me.