Fall

Fall

Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend at the Conflict Center

"Conflict is inevitable; violence is not."

Karen asked me why it is called The Conflict Center and not the Conflict Resolution Center. It was clarified to me after spending the whole weekend at the Center that the motto above is why it is called The Conflict Center. So, Karen, I hope that answers your question.

I spent the weekend with 11 women who are all interested in teaching conflict management to kids or adults. It was a great weekend, very cathartic for me. We did some "personal" work, discussing our own history of conflict and anger management. We learned about teaching the subject and had to do our own presentation. My friend Rusan and I presented "I messages". This is a strategy to not place blame on the other person for how you might feel...Instead of saying "You never listen to me" you can say "I am hurt when my ideas are ignored because I think I have something important to say." This is a way to de-escalate conflict. The presentation went okay-I have work to do for sure-but I am just so excited to start teaching this course to adults.

No comments: