Fall

Fall

Monday, September 7, 2009

The Blog is Back

It has been one heck of a 9 month stretch. My beloved passed away on August 28th, 2009 after a long, long struggle with cancer and many cases of pneumonia. This is the link to his obituary:
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/denverpost/obituary.aspx?n=michael-d-mcclanahan&pid=132125557
His viewing and celebration of life service brought out many people both a part of his life, my life, and our lives together. I have heard numerous stories of how much people loved and admired Mike. One thing that stood out...Mike always was self conscious of his teeth. So many people, though, have told me how much they loved his smile.

I am resurrecting this blog because I am beginning my own journey. I want to keep it tied to my previous blog because that life will always be a part of who I am. As I embark upon this new journey I want to write about how I am feeling, what I am thinking and how I reconstruct a life out of one that I had with Mike for 10 years. How do I bring parts of him into my own life? His courage, humor, organizational skills, and the kind of love and friendship that sustained us for a decade?

I miss him more than words can express. I often think that he isn't home because he is in the hospital, where he spent a lot of time away from home. I keep feeling like the phone will ring and the caller ID will be the hospital and he will ask where I have been all week. Of course this is ridiculous...as I was there for his final breaths. But I can't help hold out a little bit of hope that someday I will feel his touch or hear his voice again. Even if that someday is when I leave this earth myself.

Goodnight, my sweet.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Oh Melanie. I can't tell you how comforted I felt when I saw your latest entry. I just like hearing your voice, reading your voice rather. I know this road will be so difficult, but you can do it. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I like the phrase, "Be still and know that I am." When you feel lost, just sit quietly, and you will hear him.

A said...

Melanie-
I just happened upon your blog...googling acquaintences from yesteryear. I am so saddened by your unbelievable loss and pray for your peace and healing.
Amy Schoenhoff Lippis