Fall

Fall

Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Help and Other Books that Make Us Think

I just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Literally, I just finished the book a few minutes ago. My friend Liz gave it to me months ago. I am a book cover person, and this book cover looked more like a book I would read at a beach than seriously read and comprehend. I started hearing more and more about it, and it became the book club choice of two bookclubs. So, I thought I should read it. It is the reason I go to bed at 7pm and not fall asleep until midnight. Let me tell you...it is more than just a good read. It is a must for your personal library. I felt the same about this book as I did Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale.

The questions that arise when reading this book are: what can be taken away from me? How can one person change how others think of me, and impact my own thoughts of myself as a human being? Who in our society today do we equate to The Help of this novel? Cheers to Kathryn Stockett, a new novelist who made human the people our society de-humanized. Hopefully lessons will be learned from this book about humanity. How good it is, no matter how different from you a person or group of people may be.

I spent the day decompressing. It felt so good. I took a long walk with the dogs, put my pajamas on and laid in bed to read all day. I got up to go to dinner with Robert and Kendra at Mead St. Station and then back home to finish the book. It was a pampering sort of day. I will look forward to more of those to come, especially if I am being introduced to some really good books!

1 comment:

Emily said...

So glad you loved The Help. I missed the characters so much when I was done reading it. It was just beautiful.