Fall

Fall

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Zumba and Other Treats

I took my first Zumba class tonight. I was impressed with myself for a variety of reasons. First, this class was out in Broomfield, which is at least 30 minutes away. Also, it is held at 5pm on Sunday night, which is something where I need a little poking and prodding. Finally, it was a commitment, which I have a hard time with sometimes. But I did it. My friend Karen works for the City and County of Broomfield. She told me about this class and we committed to it. I also brought a Regis friend along, one who is just as uncoordinated as I in the dance department. As class was wrapping up, I actually committed to going back. And, maybe finding another Zumba class during the week. It must have been a success.

A success for a variety of reasons. I felt alive. I was moving, sweating, dancing, working out...My body did movements that it hasn't done in years. I felt free, I didn't care if I looked funny or uncoordinated. It was fun. And I was bummed when it was over.

Zumba is on my list for what will make the 2010 Melanie year great. As will be Jazzercise-I have wanted to try it and I think it is similar to Zumba. I just want to feel good, free, happy...so hopefully these commitments will help me be that way. I also had a fabulous weekend where I slept a lot and read. I am reading The Help and the story is one of those that is hard to put down. I crawled into bed the past few nights at 7:30 and just read. Such a treat. I napped and read throughout the weekend, another treat. The best treat of all was seeing Mike's headstone at Fairmount today. I went to the cemetery just because it had been awhile and lo and behold his stone was up. I was surprised because if I knew I would have brought ornaments to decorate the tree nearby and a wreath...but I was happy to see it there. It looks nice, and now the people running along the highline will see me standing in front of a stone and not an empty space. Really, this is a new milestone in my grief process. I have hope that this is a symbol for a good 2010.

Side note: RIP Brittany Murphy, a young actress whose death reminds us all to live each day as if it is our last, as it truly can be.

No comments: