Fall

Fall

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Coming together

A really cool thing is happening across the United States over the summer. Father Matt Ruhl, a Jesuit priest from Kansas City, will be cycling across the United States to bring awareness to issues of poverty. Catholic Charities will be the recipients of funds being raised in Colorado, as well as the Samaritan House in Denver and the Stout Street Clinic.

My friend Mary is the head of the volunteer committee and I have been to two meetings. At first I was going to just be a volunteer one day, but I found myelf offering my time to help coordinate a pancake breakfast and a wine and cheese reception. I am really excited about this opportunity to be a part of something really cool and big! Now that I will have time on my hands this is definitely something I want to spend my time doing. I will be creating a Cycling for Change (C4C) Denver Facebook page and will post that link soon. If you want more information about his journey, visit www.cyclingforchange.org.

There will be about 15 cyclists in the group that will cycle across the US, and others are invited to join the cylclists for various parts of the route. They will be coming through Denver July 6th and 7th and the committee is planning a talk by Father Ruhl, a wine and cheese reception and a pancake breakfast at the Samaritan House. It will be a great two days and our hope is to bring long term awareness of poverty.

This fits nicely with what Lorrie and I are doing with the homeless women. We may make some connections from this as well. So, stay tuned as this comes together!

No comments: