Fall

Fall

Monday, May 3, 2010

Short Timer's Syndrome

I swore I wouldn't be affected. "Oh, it is no problem to give a month's notice because I know how short staffed we are." Of course, now, with 25 days to go, I am eating my words. Classes start next week so from when I got to work until when I left I was bombarded with "emergencies". No, not the kind that involve blood or anything..."my class was cancelled-now what do I do?" "When am I graduating?" "When can we meet to discuss my degree plan?" At one point in time, I enjoyed this, but that was about 250 fewer students ago. Sitting at 650 students to advise, I want a claim ticket device by my desk/phone/email to say "Take a number." The students don't yet know I am leaving...I am really hoping that we will have hired someone so that I can do the handoff by the 28th. Regis, though, is notorious for taking a long time in hiring people. Hopefully there will be a sense of urgency in filling my position.

It has been interesting how people react to why I am leaving. I am not going to a a new company or school. I am not going back to school (not yet, anyway). I am just taking some time off. There are two kinds of people who react to this news: The first are the supporters. They know what I have been through and truly support me in my decision. The second are the jealous ones. The ones who wish they could take time off. Those I hate to remind that I am taking the time off because my husband died. If Mike were still around, I wouldn't be doing this necessarily. Maybe I would be feeling restless to do something else, but I doubt I would be taking time off. We would be, however, taking lots and lots of fabulous vacations.

So, I endure the next month. I meet with students. I get to work on time. I care. Because, in 25 days, I will be waking up to a different and very promising reality.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Block out the jealous haters. They do not matter. You know this. You are surrounded by SUPPORT!

Sending you love, patience, clarity and peace.
MWAH!
Emily