Fall

Fall

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Reflections on work and leisure

Yesterday I started my part-time job. I fell so easily into this position-I had worked one day a week at this community college in the past and got to know the advising and student services staff. They were all such great people to work with, and when I quit Regis the supervisor told me to call her if I wanted a part-time advising job. Over the summer, I toyed with jobs in retail but realized to make any money I would have to work full-time. So, I contacted this woman and she hired me part-time, which had a payscale that would equate to a full-time retail job.

Can I tell you? How did I manage to work 8 hours before?

After taking a full summer off plus a few months, I have become an advocate for the idea of balance. In order to have balance, I know I can't take things to either extreme. So, instead of working an 8 hour day with good pay and owning a brand new mini-SUV, I choose the part-time job and keep the two 10 year old cars that are paid off. The trade off is...my morning walk followed by a yoga class; getting out of work in the winter while the sun is still shining; after a heavy snowstorm, brushing off my car at 8am instead of 6am. The impact on my quality life-part-time vs. full-time-I can tell already is amazing.

That said, I am referring to a job where career development is not necessarily the primary reason to work there. While I love the staff and the job itself is interesting and fun, I know my passion will be in the social work field. I already feel it when I work with the homeless for the art projects. So, I have a feeling once I start pursuing my MSW I will need to re-read this post about balance. Until then, though, I am really loving life.

No comments: