Fall

Fall

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween, Scrooge Style




I still question the sanity of the person who created the idea of trick-or-treating. Unless this person lived in a tiny little community where everyone knew each other, I find the idea kind of strange. Visiting strangers houses in costume for candy? I hate to be ho-hum and not that fun...but I do think it is a bit strange that we make this an annual tradition. Okay, okay...some of my best memories as a kid come from trick-or-treating. We travelled with a group of friends, my mom, and spooky stories as we visited neighbor houses...so, I don't know what I am complaining about.

I guess my Scrooge-ness comes from having Chester and Stanley. I cringe when I think about the hello the boys give guests I actually invite over...let alone small children knocking randomly at the front door for candy. The boys are bigger than most kids combined and have more energy than 10 seven year olds in one room...so the thought of answering the door with Ches and Stan by my side is a nightmare knowing that these trick-or -treaters have not signed some sort of waiver.

So...each Halloween I plan to be someplace else. Tonight Mandy and I went to Olivea for some appetizers and a drink...but now I am home. All the lights are out except the lovely light of my TV as I watch the Next Iron Chef competition. So far, no trick-or-treaters and hopefully that will be the course of the night.

No comments: