Fall

Fall

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Brussels Sprouts


(This is not my image but downloaded from the Internet)

Leave it to my chef friend Aimee to introduce me to the food that brings back childhood nightmares...the Brussel's sprouts.

I don't believe Mom served these very often. I don't really recall having an adverse reaction to a Brussels sprout. People I meet do: "Ewwww! I hated those growing up!" But...I would have to ask...have you really had Brussels sprouts??

My first adulthood re-introduction came at Piatti in Cherry Creek. Aim and I ordered a pan seared BP with bacon and onion. When I say "to die for" I mean it...especially with anything Piatti has to serve. So, I was at the store the other day and saw them and had a flashback to that amazing dish. I decided to go for it.

Tonight, along with an arugula salad, I steamed some Brussels and then seared them with caramelized red onion and garlic. Need I say De-lish?

Lesson learned: Try things like Brussels sprouts, beets, and turnips now as an adult where there is an understanding of the words olive oil, caramelized and sear. Yummmmmy!

No comments: