Fall

Fall

Monday, October 4, 2010

Fall's simple pleasures

Fall for me is a time to slow down, reflect, hunker in, and treat myself to simple pleasures. I enjoyed two simple pleasures today-a walk in City Park and a drive to Evergreen Lake. I haven't had a chance to drive in the mountains and enjoy the fall colors, so both places were perfect destinations-close by, but they had enough fallishness to satisfy my appetite for yellows, reds, and browns. City Park trees are still green so I will probably go back for a few more walks the next few weeks to really enjoy the colors. The best view is from the side of the Museum of Nature and Science-looking at the fountain and the pavillion, the trees all around and the tall buildings that sprout up into the sky. It is truly a pleasant place to enjoy the colors. Evergreen Lake was nice-the swampland grasses are turning color and cattails are popping up everywhere. Yellow trees reflected in the water, and the water was crisp and clear. The drive was nice as well-I passed Lair of the Bear park and decided that, too, would be another simple destination for fall foliage. It had a palette of warm colors from the road above.

Another simple pleasure is turning on my oven and not sweating! It is yet again time for me to start cooking more consistently. Tonight it is a Hungarian dish-pork chops baked on top of cabbage, potatoes, onions and garlic. I love these kinds of meals-they are hearty and healthy and comforting.

Don't get me wrong-I am going to be participating in my fair share of an active lifestyle this fall. I am still practicing yoga, walking every day, and again I am training for another little 5K on October 23rd with Jessica. When the weather turns I will join the rec center and use the treadmill if it is too cold to be outside. But, while these activities get the blood and heart moving, there is still nothing like putting on PJ's on a cool Sunday afternoon, making a hot chocolate or cup of tea, and popping in a movie to the DVD player.

No comments: