Fall

Fall

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An update

Lots has been happening in my life and in my house! I tackled some flooring issues and had tile laid in the back mudroom and office. It is a beautiful terra cotta tile, and it is going to be the answer to all my dirt/dog hair issues. It is a beautiful addition to the house and I have to do some minor touching up in order to really make it shine-paint the trim in the mudroom, the threshold and the stairs. Otherwise, it is really lovely. My office is in a state of "tabula rasa" as far as organization and desk space are concerned. I am going to get a drafting table so I can continue to develop my artistic collage abilities. Right now I am relegated to the coffee table and with the TV, Ches and Stan all staring at me my creative juices are not really flowing. I want a simple desk for my computer and a drafting table, along with storage for my art and office supplies. That should be easily done in the next month.

I thought I should update on how the art program is going with Lorrie. As I may have written about before, we were commissioned to create an art piece for a new Colorado Coalition for the Homeless house community in Capital Hill. One of the requests was that we engage CCH clients in creating the overall piece. Last week, Lorrrie and I began our first of a number of scheduled workshops to help us create this end result. We have no idea what it will look like, but we are instructing the clients on what we hope will the basis of our piece. If I were to be really honest, the art piece itself actually comes in second to the process of working with the homeless clients. We have had nothing but amazing experiences and it really, truly has given me sense a renewed optimism of the human spirit. The people we work with have such complex lives, but truly when Lorrie and I just let go and be us with them...a beautiful thing emerges called kinship. I can't explain it. I would only hope everyone has had the opportunity to look into the eyes of someone else and really feel a connection.

No comments: