Fall

Fall

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolutions?

My friend Susan asked me the other day if I made any New Year's resolutions. I guess I looked a little taken aback (I mean...who makes those anymore?) and said, "no." She was a bit incredulous and I had to explain. "I mean, who wants to set themselves up for failure?" She clarified what resolutions means to her...she said, "I don't mean anything huge, just small goals." She told me some of hers: to do her nails more, wear more makeup, etc. Later in the day, Meg and I dissected the concept of resolutions and decided that we would call them something else. Maybe-life re-energizers? I came up with a little list of my own.
1. Do my hair a little differently. Instead of washing and blow drying every day, maybe curl it a few days a week.
2. Choose between actually wearing all the clothes in my closet or getting rid of the stuff I never wear and whittle my wardrobe down to the 5 pieces I do wear. I can't have it both ways.
3. Get rid of 3-5 things every day. I don't mean tried and true possessions...I mean things like: throw away the expired yogurt container in the fridge, pay bills right away to get the paperwork off the desk, that one sock where I will never find it's match, put the old magazines in the recycle bin, etc.
4. Connect each week with a friend I haven't spoken to in a while (go beyond Facebook).
5. Eat foods with more color in them (and I don't mean food coloring).
6. A few nights a week, go out and do something. Because I get home around 3:30 I tend to put my PJ's on, eat dinner early and plop down on the couch for some Lifetime made for TV movies. I think it will do me good to go out, sit at Stella's and read a book, or hit a mall I normally don't go to, or go out to a movie.
I think these are all very attainable "re-energizers" and will bring a little verve into my everyday life. I like that Meg and I reworked the concept of resolution to make changes that will actually enhance life.
What might yours be?

No comments: