Fall

Fall

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Buzzkill

I am off from work this week. Ahhh...I have been in my job, what, about two months and I already have been coveting this time off. Yesterday I did a little shopping and went to see the movie "Love and Other Drugs" (save your money-a cute flick but very, very predictable). Today, I booked a hot stone massage at the spa located in a hotel. I was referred to this place from a past friend and co-worker. With the massage I would get use of the hotel's pool, whirlpool and sauna, plus the locker room. I knew I would be in heaven. The woman who checked me in asked how I heard about the spa, and I told her. She asked who my friend was. I told her the name and she said she knew the person. "Do you teach?" She asked me. I said no, I am an advisor at a community college now. I am not working at Regis with the person who gave me the referral.

The masseuse was a guy, and normally I have women therapists, but I figured a massage is a massage. And, to be honest, I actually prefer the massage from a guy. Women can be a little rough, but this masseuse was very gentle and spoke quietly. "Are the stones too hot?" he asked a few times. "No-just perfect" I would respond and go back into my massage bliss. Even the abrupt, "the massage is over" statement seemed quieter and more gentle, like I didn't have to rush out of the room afterwords.

So...there I was. In my hot stone massage fog. I put on my swimsuit and robe to go off to the whirlpool and sauna. The woman who checked me in showed me the locker room. " So," she asked, "are you single or married?" I never know how to answer the question. If I say single, there seems to be a stigma that this 30 plus year old can't hold down a relationship. If I say married, well, then I am living in another fantasy altogether. So, I tell her I am a widow and my husband died a year ago. That usually kills a conversation, but not with this gal. "Are you dating?" She asked. And from there, I heard all her dating woes about men on the online dating scene. How no man in his 40's and 50's wants to commit. They tell her how beautiful she is and then the next minute they tell her they are seeing someone else. Blah, blah, blah. I stood there, in my robe, knowing a whirlpool is waiting for me. The bliss of my massage has soon dissipated. I start to envision a spa where no one is allowed to talk.

2 comments:

Emily said...

No one SHOULD be allowed to talk at spas. Biggest pet peeve ever. Or at least all small talk should be banned. Blech.
I enjoy massages by men as well. Bigger hands.
Happy New Year, girl. See you soon!

Emily said...

PS- Saw Love and Other Drugs too. VERY predictable but I identified so much with her being "sick" and how that affects your relationships with other people.