Fall

Fall

Friday, December 3, 2010

Chchchanges

Okay, so I have noticed something different about myself lately. I am not sure if I know how I feel about it. I looked in the mirror and noticed that my face is becoming moon shaped. Oh, and that there is a little extra skin under the chin. Some might call that a double chin.

I was looking at pictures of myself from 2006 and noticed my face was a perfect shape. Kind of heart like, with a nicely defined jaw. So, what happened? Yes, my readers, I am starting to notice that as I age my features are changing. Of course, that double chin might actually disappear if I lost a few pounds, but still...I am seeing the changes that evolve over time.

I was watching an episode of Dr. Phil the other day about a reality TV show called Bridalplasty, where soon-to-be-brides compete for plastic surgery before their wedding day. There are many disturbing aspects on many levels with that concept. The most disturbing to me is the denial that the end goal is this false sense of beauty they have. First, I wanted to actually see pictures of their husbands-I mean, how hunky are they? Would the husbands do a little lipo to fit perfectly in a tux? Get botox so their lips are fuller? Have the fat sucked out of their man-breasts? Second, I wanted to tell these women about the nature of love and marriage. 'Til death do us part means that they get to see each other in all their glory-from the glowing bride, to the wrinkles, to the getting soft around the middle, to the liver spots...All of that is the beauty of choosing one person to spend life with.

Although I look in the mirror and see changes-the rounder face, the muffin top, the upper arms where jello has inhabited space where muscle used to be-I recall something that keeps me loving myself for who I am. Mike was in the hospital for one of many times, and I had gained about 20 pounds from stress and hospital food. I remember looking in the mirror and getting a glimpse of my body shape and I said, "Man, I could stand to lose a few pounds." Mike said to the nurse in the room, "Don't you think she is perfect just the way she is?"

My wish to all the contestants on Bridalplasty-may you be married to someone who loves you just the way you are.

No comments: