Fall

Fall

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Oregon 2011

My trip to Oregon this year was really relaxing. I went for the Lavender Festival, the coast, and to see Frank, Mary Margaret, Stacy, Zivah and TJ. Last year I spent a lot of time in Portland, so I wasn't planning on staying too long in the city. The Lavender Festival was fun...I saw two actual lavender farms, both with stunning views of the countryside.



A trip to see Frank and Mary-Margaret in McMinnville is always a treat. Their home is beautiful and they are such wonderful hosts. A trip with them always includes a good dinner out, a half day drive in the beautiful countryside and a trip to a vineyard. We visited an heirloom rose garden and saw the Monrovia estate complete with all the landscaping one could dream of.




I spent 3 days along the Oregon coast. To visit the Oregon coast, one must have good quads. The 101 goes along the cliffs of the coast, so any random beach stops always require a good hike down either steps or a hill, and then a good climb back up. I was lucky enough to stay in 2 places right on the beach with remarkable views.




In Newport I stayed at the Sylvia Beach Hotel, a hotel for book lovers. Each room has an author's theme-the Jane Austin room, Herman Melville Room, and so on. I stayed in the JK Rowling room, modeled after a Gryfindor dorm room. I was glad Voldemort wasn't hiding under the bed!






Finally, I wrapped up the trip in Portland to see Stacy and her little Zivah. I stayed in Northwest Portland at an inn on the Max line. It was a funky little hotel and I loved staying in a hip neighborhood outside of downtown. Stacy, Zivah and I hung out and kept it pretty mellow which I enjoyed.



It is always good to get home, but I do miss the coast. I found myself sitting for hours just watching the ocean. I saw a whale one morning for hours, diving in and out of the water spraying water once in a while. I saw a beached starfish, and a seagull landed on my balcony. It was truly a heavenly week away and just the rejuvenation I needed.

No comments: