Fall

Fall

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Homework

Starting in September I begin both an internship and classes for the DU Master of Social Work program. I got a really good internship at SafeHouse Denver, a domestic violence shelter for women and kids. I will be working with the women and at some point given a small caseload whom I will counsel, advise, and provide resources. It is intimidating, but exciting. This was the exact kind of internship I wanted-one that will push my boundaries, help me develop new skills, and really feel like I am making a difference in someone's life.

My supervisor suggested that I get some books from the library about domestic violence since I don't have a background in it. I placed my orders at the library, and the first of many has come in. I am waiting in anticipation to pick up the book, with the plan to visit various coffee shops over the next week or so to do my homework. I look forward to taking notes over a hot cambric (or cool iced coffee depending on the day) and reading.

I find it bizarre that I don't do this type of thing for my book club books-find a cozy cafe and spend a few hours reading. But when it comes to "homework" I am all over the cafe scene. Maybe it has to do with how I used to study in high school and college. I would take off for the evening for Village Inn in the early days, and then Stellas or St. Mark's in my more mature years. I am looking forward to that feeling again, of being a student in a cafe.

1 comment:

Meg said...

I too love cafe homework! I miss being in school for that exact reason. But I agree, why can't I do it with books I'm reading for pleasure?