Fall

Fall

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Scout, Ches and Stan

["Which of these kids is doing her own thing..."]

My friend Pam and her hubby Peter will be deploying to Antarctica in August. They are newlyweds and it is their first time on the ice together. Scout is Peter's dog, now of course Peter and Pam's dog. They need someone to care for her while they are in Antarctica and have been looking for the right home until March...and something in me said, "let's give it a try."

Peter, Pam and Scout came to dinner tonight and Scout is now spending the night. At first, there were the territorial activities dogs do...a little sniffing, humping, some hairs lifted on the back. Apart from all that (oh, and Scout staring at the door waiting for someone [Peter] to pick her up) we are settling into the evening. Stan, Scout and I are sitting outside listening to jazz as Chester is chewing a rawhide inside. Dinner was successfully facilitated; while Chester wanted to eat her food I stood with a watchful eye. I find I am much more commanding with a foreign dog around than with my own pack. She may, however, become a part of our pack for the next 6 months so hopefully my commanding nature will stick.

People think I am a tad bit crazy. I have assured everyone that until I add 20 cats to the mix I am not yet to be committed. There is something about taking care of someone else, throwing a wrench into the routine, expanding the circle of love that means so much to me. It is why I can share a bunk bed with an 8 year old; or why I can assure a good friend that her 3 year old is okay in my care while she takes half a day to herself; or why I can deal with taking care of a friend's dog. It is giving of myself to other beings that makes me feel alive. So, take heed my friends...no one needs to commit me. Just yet.

No comments: