Fall

Fall

Saturday, January 17, 2015

My first 10 before 40 completed, revised just a tad


It is probably good that I use my blog space to report on my “10 before 40” progress. Today I completed one of these goals by attending “A Life That Works” at Mile Hi Church, a half-day retreat and workshop. It wasn’t exactly what I was planning to do, as I love full weekend retreats away with lots of quiet time, meditation and communing with others. However, now that I am in my own place, and without income as of yet, I decided to abbreviate this goal just a bit.

Today’s workshop covered two books and how they relate-Stephen Covey’s “First Things First” and Steven Pressfield’s “The War of Art”. Both of these look at what gets in the way of achieving dreams and goals in different ways. Covey’s book looks at time management and that we have, in our society, made our priorities not about what is important but what seems urgent…and most urgent things are not really that important. Importance is based on “self-care” practices, developing meaningful relationships, making meaning in a career, doing things that are empowering and creative, and having fun. Pressfield’s book looks at how resistance is the enemy to living a creative and fulfilling life and it manifests in a variety of ways. These two together when studied have allowed me to better understand what is important to me-for example family, friends, being creative, having new adventures, being in nature, volunteering at Agape, etc-and how to make these priorities rather than things that are just time wasters, like too many excuses, too much television, being “too busy”. Then, once the list of important things is elaborated on and understood, I can look at what is keeping me from fully diving into these things, most specifically spending time being creative and trying to achieve other dreams around life-work balance.

The day was held in the small chapel at Mile Hi Church and Dr. Roger, Sr Minister, facilitated. There was some meditation, lots of time to write from the heart, a few opportunities for sharing, and walking away feeling really inspired!

Not sure what is next on the “10 before 40” list, kinda hoping it will be along the job lines, where I have to remember not to just take a job out of fear, but pursuing work that will be meaningful.  In the meantime, maybe will I will try to perfectly roast a chicken!

No comments: