Fall

Fall

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

My Girl

Welcome home, my beautiful Rene!

Jax Running Rene came to me by way of my impatience, which can sometimes be a flaw, but can also bring me good things. I had been approved by one Greyhound adoption group but they had a wait list. I got one call, about a 19 month old puppy who wasn't potty trained, which wasn't quite what I was looking for. I decided to see what other groups are out there, and came across Friends of Retired Greyhounds. I made a call, spoke to the adoption coordinator right away, and she told me about my beautiful, sweet, and very insecure Rene.

Rene was described as "sweet, lovable…but shy and wants things on her terms." An introvert, once Rene gets comfy in her surroundings she is a true gem. Rene ran the Sioux City race track until January, retired from her profession and was brought with FORG to the Cell Dog Training Program at Crowley County Correctional Facility outside of Pueblo. All adoptable Greyhounds go there for 3 weeks of training and then they can meet potential adopters. Rene, well, was the last of her group. She was visited by about 7 or so potential adopters, and no one connected with her. She is jumpy upon approach by strangers; she despises loud noises; and it takes some time to warm up.

I drove out the facility-about 2 1/2 hours or so from Denver-and a guard brought her into the front yard. She backed away from me, scared, but I took her leash and walked her around. We didn't "bond" necessarily, but I looked at this girl and said to myself, "If I don't adopt her, she will become the Crowley County Correctional Facilities mascot." And while I am sure she would have been fine with that, as it was all she knew beyond the race track, I had other hopes for her future.

She wouldn't come in the car, and we were approached by various men in uniform trying to help, but only freaked her out more. I finally got assertive, picked her up and put her in…away we went. She stood for part of the drive, and then settled in and laid on the back seat. We got home, and she sniffed the condo. We went out and did a short walk around the building-she a nervous wreck, me a nervous wreck trying to keep it together. I have to be the confident one…after all…

I had numerous calls, texts and emails with the adoption coordinator that first day. They want me to crate train her, but she is no way interested in her crate. I put a bed in my bedroom and she settled in. I did some online reading…that new Greys need to find their safe space upon entering a home, and so I let that be hers. The adoption coordinator warned be against putting her in my room with the door closed when I would leave, but I did it anyway and she appeared to do fine when I ran a quick errand. She slept mostly through the first night with one bathroom call, which she promptly let me know about with a quiet whine.

Yesterday we took a few short walks, and she hung out in the bedroom a lot. But, she finally came out and laid down in the living room, which was a good sign. She was able to be in the bedroom while I went to work for 4 hours with no casualties. She loves a peanut butter filled kong, and we are trying out different treats and other chews.

This morning, she was such a character! We went out to the bathroom around 4am and then back in to go back to sleep. She rubbed her face against the bed, and let me pet her. We had an amazing walk this morning…she did so good and listened to her commands. One step forward, though, and a few steps back…we went out again to go to the bathroom and she saw a person coming towards us and freaked out. She also got her head caught in the curtain on the patio door and pulled it down. Poor thing! But, I don't treat her like "poor thing" because that enables her to be so timid.

I just got off the phone with the adoption coordinator, and we are going to use a harness on Rene and I am going to start acclimating her to people and new places. Exposure, exposure, exposure she says. I know this in my heart, and I just need the confidence to execute.

 My attempt at crate training didn't work…here she is outside her crate

Getting used to her spot in the bedroom


New bed, new collar…red heads can wear pink!

Getting her groove around the house

Everyone's favorite…a PB filled Kong!

No comments: