Fall

Fall

Friday, April 17, 2015

Sweet Girl

Tomorrow is a special day for Rene and me. She will have been with me for almost two weeks, so tomorrow I can officially adopt her! She and I, along with Mom, are going to the Petco in Littleton where there is a Greyhound meet 'n' greet and there I can finalize her adoption. Honestly, I don't think I ever seriously considered not adopting her as it appeared to be love at first sight almost two weeks ago. In such a short time, I can't imagine life without her!

Take for example the fact that Greyhounds get cold easily, and in this weather we have been having I get to put her into a coat. Yesterday, it was a rain/snow mix, so I headed to Petsmart and got her a yellow rain jacket. Here she is, getting used to it!


Rene has been sleeping in my room on a dog bed, but we tried our hand at sharing my queen bed the other night. She happily plopped herself in the middle, and when I attempted to move her over she unhappily growled at me for manhandling her…subsequently, I think we both decided she likes her space and I like mine when it comes to our sleep. Last night, however, she happily found a new space to sleep. I found her up on the couch, all curled up, before getting ready for bed. We have been sleeping in the bedroom with the doors closed, but last night I decided to leave the doors open and let her sleep on the couch. Indeed, she did…all night…until this morning at 6:30! 



Rene has been described by her new condo friends as a "Sweet Girl." And she is. I have a neighbor who is fascinated by her-Amber has an energetic Lab named Duncan, so he is always tearing about in the shared courtyard; Rene is sweet and demure, and Amber has been able to pet her and talk softly to her about how pretty she is. Rene has met a number of condo dog friends…Duncan, Yogi and Boomer are the friends she sees the most. At the park there is Oliver who is often off leash. She and I will brave an off leash dog park one day…maybe early one morning where I can test her out with only a few others around. I think, though, that structured play may be best for her for now, and Petsmart has Pets Hotel where she can go for a few hours and play, inside and monitored instead of outside and free. It may be where we need to start, but I know she loves other dogs and is just itching to play.

Rene is such a ham in the mornings! She gets these little spurts of energy and starts tossing around a stuffed animal, a blanket, this morning my slipper. She isn't destructive, she gets this desire to throw and chase something. She rubs her head against the bed and hides under the sheet. She has a personality for sure, and it is starting to show itself! Indeed it is a personality of a "Sweet Girl"!

No comments: