Fall

Fall

Sunday, June 7, 2015

A week of storms, good friends and the joys of being a homebody

Last week, thunderstorms, hail and lighting shows reined over the Denver metro area. Things have just been kind of sopping around here, and the mosquitos have really come out to play. This kind of weather has made me more of a homebody than I normally am.

Along with the storms last week, I experienced my friends! It was a special week, where 3 good friends individually came a different night of the week for a visit. All 3 were special and unique in their different ways. I hadn't seen my friend Nancy for a while, so it was a lot of catching up and just enjoying each other's company. Meg and I always have deep, thoughtful conversations about life so of course that took us into the late hours of the evening. And Jessica and I had conversations we have never had before, in the over 15 years of friendship we have shared. All three visits were hopeful to end up on my balcony, but the lightning scared us away. And all three friends got to meet my girl for the first time, each commenting on how beautiful she is.

I had this thought the other day, Saturday, as I was trying to ponder my day off and convince myself to go to a local festival or do something social, when I really just felt like laying low at home. As a single person, I can choose to spend my time in whatever way I want. When I was in a couple, choices were narrower because each person had an idea of what they wanted to do, and of course spending time together was always the first choice. House projects were always in need of being completed, maybe a date night at a restaurant we both enjoyed, shopping for the necessities, watching a movie or TV show. But as a single person, I can take a walk, go shopping, go to a festival, watch TV, clean, listen to the radio, bake, cook, take a drive…the choices are endless. And sometimes, I choose to do nothing, which is what I did yesterday afternoon into the evening. Rene and I spent the morning running errands and walking at Bible Park. I went and did a little shopping, and came home at 1pm and pretty much stayed in all afternoon and evening. Sure, there were festivals to attend, a wine walk in the Lowry Town Center, or just spending time out doors as the weather was nice, but I chose to stay in. And it felt so very nice to be in my jammies in the afternoon, cleaning out my closet and working on an art project and watching movies. So, here is to making the most out of all the choices we do have!

No comments: