Fall

Fall

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The saga of Rene's paw and another little overnight

For the past month or so, Rene has been limping. It started gradually and then got worse, to the point of hopping on three legs. I made two trips to the vet and both times, neither had a definitive reason why. They would push and prod on her paws and pads and she would barely make a noise. Yet she hobbled around like a limb had been amputated. At first, I thought it was psychological. Rene is a smart girl, and has manipulated me a time or two. I thought maybe her limp came on after I had been forcing her to do all these outings with me. I thought maybe it was her way of saying, "Geez, Mom, what part of the description of Greys as couch potatoes do you not get?"

My mom thought my inklings were a tad unreasonable as well. And, while I still may think a part of it could be true, yesterday I pressed around on her paw pad and did get a little yelp and whimper, which means that something really must be uncomfortable.

But she had been doing pretty well! Over the past week, her limp improved and we were able to take a few longer walks than we had been doing. Until, well, I started pushing her hard again this weekend. Friday, we went to our friend Barbara's house to visit with her and her greyhound, Ellie. Now, Rene seemed to really enjoy that. Sunday, she came with me to the folks' house for Father's Day, and she seemed to settle right into either the shady spot in the backyard or in the guest bedroom. And last night, we had plans to stay up in Dillon on the lake at a pet friendly Best Western. I didn't have to work today, and so I thought another getaway would do us good.

Until, of course, yesterday morning her gimpy limp returned and she was once again hopping around.

At this point, though, I had seen improvement after a few days of rest from a lot of activity so we went anyway. I have come to terms with the fact that, with her limp, our little getaways are filled with a lot of scenic drives and time in the hotel room. It isn't quite the kind of vacation I yearn for…I wanted so bad to walk along the shores of Lake Dillon this morning, which would have been torture for her…but I know that if I am going to have a getaway I need to make some concessions.

And while I did concede-no walks on the shore, dinner in the room with Father's Day leftovers instead of sitting on a patio with a beer and burger, and a poor night's sleep due to her restlessness and me not bringing my own pillows-I think I was able to capture some highlight moments. The first is my all time favorite…"my" night sky. I am enamored with it. I was able to leave Rene in the room for a few minutes and walk aways from the hotel and all the lighting. I just stood there-blanketed by this navy blue velvet and small dots of shimmering light, a half-moon letting me know the sun will rise in the morning. I took a few deep breaths of the mountain air, and this realization came to me…no matter the anxiety I sometimes feel about the day to day, what is constant and for sure is my own inner peace, which, much like the night sky, is always there. I just need to tap into it, like I did last night.

Today, Rene and I drove around mountain towns I may not visit otherwise. Breckenridge, Keystone, Frisco, and Georgetown…unless there would be a reason to go, I probably wouldn't have visited these towns this summer.

And, of course, I got through 3 episodes of Orange is the New Black and I can't wait to get to the next one!

All in all, it is always good to get away, and it is always good to get home. I think Rene shares this sentiment as well! (maybe a little more emphasis on the "get home" part)


This was the view right outside our hotel window. I admit, I used to be a snob about Best Westerns. Now, I see them as a traveler's delight! Always a comfortable place to make home for a few days, with great locations and a darn good complimentary breakfast!


Rene's "new thing" is to lay in grass in the shade. It is a dog-like thing to do. Sometimes greyhounds have to learn to be dogs, and she is getting an A+ in that class!




Lake Dillon, the marina, and a random selfie



Hey! Where'd my ears go? And peek-a-boo Rene, during a bathroom break near Keystone


Along the road to Breckenridge



In Frisco there is a historical museum and park. I couldn't help but take a picture of the Ches's Place pavilion…I loved that nickname for my Chester…and this lovely painted mosaic of my favorite bird!


Finally, a stop in historic Georgetown, one of those places I don't visit often but am reminded I need to!



No comments: