Fall

Fall

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Thanks, Dad! (And Mom, too)

Father's Day…a special day to celebrate all things Dad. Today, Rene and I are joining the family for some relaxation in the back yard, a little BBQ dinner and maybe a game of "dart ball". I wanted, however, to take a moment to thank Dad (and also Mom) for instilling in me since I was young the love of nature and being outdoors.

One of the things that brought my parents, separately, out to Colorado decades ago was to enjoy the mountains and all the benefits the West has to offer, different from the mid-west life of Illinois and the eastern world of upstate New York. My parents tell of stories when they first met, the picnics they would take in the mountains and and the scenic drives they would do, with coffee and donuts in hand, ready to enjoy the outdoors. Back then, it wasn't as crowded along the I-70 corridor so they really did feel like adventurous explorers.

They didn't stop their love of mountain adventures after Robert and I came along. We would spend weekends in the mountains, on picnics with just ourselves, or with family members who were here visiting, or with good friends. We went to Grand Lake a lot and stayed at Daven Haven Lodge, where we would swim our cares away, spend time down at the lake, and hiking around. When Mom would have to take me to the babysitter, we would drive together and I would point West and say, "Let's go to the mounts." I was hoping Mom would turn the car in that direction and she and I could have a day together in nature.

Thanks to parents who had a sense of adventure themselves, I developed my own, too. And then meeting Mike, we both had a sense of adventure where we would hike, camp, or visit mountain towns on the weekends. We lived in Glenwood Springs, I lived on the Western Slope, and I continue to take my own little road trips into nature all these years later.

Yesterday, I found myself trying to figure out what to do in the morning. I wanted to do something outside, but not go as far as the mountains. My favorite thing is my Denver Botanic Gardens membership. It is and easy way to get into nature without driving far out of the city. At the DBG, I can experience all different terrain-Victorian and Japanese gardens, a mountain escape, the desert, and the prairie land. So, I decided to spend the morning at DBG and take some pictures. It was a really great way to get away, connect with nature and with myself, too. Thanks, Dad (and Mom!) for instilling in me the love of the outdoors and the importance communing in nature is to my soul.


The rose garden is always so very beautiful…these white and yellow beauties let themselves be known.


The current exhibit is Deborah Butterfield's Horses. In a video of her talking about her work, she said at the time everyone was doing avant-garde art. "Sculpting horses was considered to be such dopey artistic pursuit, it was almost so dopey it was avant-garde." There is nothing dopey about these sculpted beauties…
I am only including one photo because you need to see for yourself!


I loved these plumes standing tall near the prairie garden in all their colorful glory!


DBG has done a great job in their renovations and updates of amenities, including The Hive Bistro in the middle of the garden. It reminds me of those little French cafes smack dab in the middle of a park in Paris, with open windows and patios where one could sip Burgundy and experience the sights and sounds of the park.


Another favorite place at DBG of mine is the Orangery. It is another French inspired element of the 
gardens, and they change it up often. In February they showcased the orchids here. 
This summer it is filled with ferns, hyacinth, coleus, and other eye catching foliage.


Appreciation of the waterlilies is always a must during a visit!



Finally, take time to feel re-energized and inspired by the sounds of this small waterfall 
located near the Japanese garden...





No comments: